I finally figured out a good place to get food that's close to the Megabus departure location (31st and 9th.)
Mooncake Foods has a few locations around NYC, but the one on 30th just east of 8th ave. was the one I tried out, useful as it was to me as I needed dinner before my 11 hour bus experience to Toronto.
There's plenty of comfortable seating at this casual "Home-cooked Asian Comfort Food" spot, and some band was sitting at a table together when I was there. The kitchen is lined with bottles of fish sauce, which I took to be a good sign.
After ordering my food (and it's cash only, by the way), I discovered a delightful restroom: a clean, well-stocked, single restroom with organic hand soap.
Before I had even finished using the restroom, they had my food ready for me, so it really is a good, fast take out option for such times as catching a bus or a train (also near Penn Station of course).
|Pulled Pork Sandwich with Curry Lime BBQ Sauce|
Slow cooked pork on a semolina roll with napa cabbage slaw and curry lime BBQ sauce. - $9.25
It became two tacos and a salad, plus some lettuce wraps. I had been wondering if $9.25 was too much for a sandwich and if I would need to order something else or buy some side from a bodega in order to have enough food. When I felt the weight of the bag they handed me, I decided it would be fine.
So ten bucks might seem pricey for a sandwich, but somewhere along the way Jesus must've come along and multiplied the shit outta my meal.
To sum, we have a comfortable, casual, fairly inexpensive restaurant with a good restroom, and tasty, interesting food, plus a good though sadly non-alcoholic drink selection at three locations in Manhattan (and they deliver).
Foodie Asshole Menu Wish List:
- Asian Pear & Chicken Sausage Salad - $9.50 - Asian pears, chicken sausage, mesclun, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, mint balsamic vinaigrette.
- Broiled Salmon & Mesclun Salad - $10 - Miso glazed salmon, cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, and mesclun, lemongrass dressing.
- Choy Sum - $5 - Asian greens drizzled with chinese oyster sauce. Vegetarian friendly.
- Japanese Eggplant - $5 - Grilled Japanese eggplant, sweet soy sauce. Vegetarian friendly.
- Vietnamese Pork Meatball Hero - $8 - Chili sauce, cilantro, pickled carrots and daikon. Probably the best Meatball Hero you'll ever have minus the pizza sauce and MOOTZ.
- For Vegetarians: Garlic-Grilled Veggie Sandwich - $9.50 - Grilled eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, on a semolina roll with curry ketchup. Vegetarian friendly.
- Spicy Hoisin Fish Taco - $9.50 -Grilled Tilapia fish, cucumbers, scallions, cilantro, flour tortilllas, spicy roasted pine nut hoisin sauce.
- For Vegetarians: Roasted Veggies & Korean Chili Paste - $9.50 - Roasted eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, seasoned tofu, bean sprouts, and Korean chili paste. Vegetarian friendly.
- Sliced Steak with Cilantro & Ginger Chimichurri - $9.50 - Sliced hanger steak, home-made chinese kickass chimichurri.
Dinner Specials - Daily $16 Specials served after 5 PM:
- Monday - Grilled Prawns & Glass Noodles - Grilled Head-On Prawns, Glass Noodles, Cilantro Mint Pesto
- Tuesday - Slow Cooked Anise Short Rib
- Thursday - New Zealand Lobster Tails - With roasted pine nut garlic sauce.