It seems like such a great idea: a place that specializes in desserts. Sometimes, especially if you've been to dinner followed by a show and drinks, you want a dessert, but it can be difficult to figure out where to go (that's still open) for a dessert that will be good. Finale seems like the perfect answer. And when I entered and read the menu, I was pleased. It seemed like everything that's wrong with Max Brenner's, they got right at Finale (though I have my suspicions that, at the very least, the same dude designed their menus). The food items are a little elevated, in case you do want a meal first, for instance:
- Crispy Chicken: Panko-crusted chicken breast served with orange pineapple chutney and parsnip mash - $9.99
- Finale Short Ribs: Boneless short ribs dry-rubbed with Valrhona cocoa and illy coffee, braised in dark beer and caramelized onions and served with roasted carrots and yellow potatoes - $14.99
- Plus daily soups, including Thai Chicken and Butternut Squash Apple
And many of the desserts actually sound interesting and foodie-approved:
- Finale Cheesecake: Our light, creamy, crustless cheesecake served with strawberry and fig compote and graham florentine - $8.99 (I don't know what "graham florentine" means, but it certainly appeals to my asshole-ness! Probably it's just a chocolate coating.)
- Manjari Mousse: Bittersweet Valrhona Manjari chocolate mousse layered with chocolate buttermilk cake and served with a napoleon of blackberry cabernet sorbet and strudel dough - $11.99
- Apple a la Mode: Warm and lightly spiced Macintosh apple and cranberry tart served with Tahitian vanilla gelato, lavender soaked hazelnut financier and honey caramel sauce - $8.99
It all sounds peachy-keen, doesn't it? So for $9.99 my companion and I ordered a dessert sample trio in order to be able to try a few of these goodies.
None of these was memorable. All I remember thinking is, "Huh, this isn't particularly good at all, and I'm kinda drunk. I'm glad I'm not paying for this crap." We weren't even tempted to finish these Lego people-sized treats. These uniform desserts are clearly coming straight out of a freezer, having been made at some factory-type place before being distributed to the three Finale locations. Whoever's working in the back just does the plate drizzle and then plops them down on top.
This place should be run out of business, but sheeple keep filing in to end their "fancy evenings," saying, "Ooooh, look, it's so pretty!" Then, even if they secretly think, "Hmm, this isn't that great, and I still want a piece of fucking cheesecake or some goddamned ice cream," everything looks pretty darn cute, so they take some pictures for their boring blogs their friends are forced to read so that they can show everyone what sophisticated urbanites they are. I have news for you: the emperor is fucking naked.
|Espresso: Single for $2.79, Double for $4.00|
If you have any taste, the first and final time you go there will be one and the same. Or you could take my word for it and skip this overpriced bull shit in the first place.